Mr. Dele Belgore, the embattled Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN) who is standing trial over alleged N450 million fraud, on Monday admitted before a Federal High Court that he gave N10 million to the then commissioner of Police in Kwara State a day to the 2015 Presidential election
REPUBLICAN recalls that the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) had slammed a 9-count charge bordering on the alleged offence of the lawyer and a former Minister of Planning, Professor Abubakar Sulaiman.
The duo had however pleaded not guilty to the charges.
At Monday’s proceedings, Belgore who was the campaign coordinator of the reelection bid of former President Goodluck Jonathan in Kwara State admitted to have delivered N10 million to Commissioner of Police, Garba Salihu on March 27, 2015.
Belgore had earlier denied the allegation in his defence but admitted under cross-examination by the prosecutor, Rotimi Oyedepo, that the N10 million he delivered to the police boss was part of the N 450 million he allegedly collected from a former Minister of Petroleum Resources, Mrs Diezani Alison-Madueke.
He also denied claims that the money was from Mrs. Alison-Madueke.
Belgore who denied all the nine-count charges pressed on him said throughout his tenure as the campaign coordinator of the reelection bid of former President Jonathan in Kwara State, he had no dealings with Mrs. Diezani and that he was not aware that the N450 million he signed for in 2015 came from her.
However, under cross-examination by the prosecutor when he was being confronted with his extrajudicial statement at the EFCC admitted that he gave money to the police boss without going through a financial institution.
“I delivered N10 million to the then Kwara State Commissioner of Police, Garba Salihu on March 27, 2015. And the money was part of N450 million sent to Kwara State.
“I did not use any financial institution instrument to withdraw the money and there is no bank’s record to show for it because I delivered it,” he said.
When Oyedepo asked him if he was a PDP leader in Kwara State, he answered yes but when asked again whether Kwara State PDP as any bank account he replied that he didn’t know whether the party is operating any bank account.
He also admitted that there was no written instruction to the bank where he took possession of N450 million he claimed was sent from their party’s headquarters in Abuja.
Further hearing in the matter has been adjourned till May 15.
In the 9-count charge, the EFCC alleged that Mrs Diezani (said to be at large) conspired with Belgore and Sulaiman on or about March 27, 2015, to directly take possession of the sum of N450 million, which they reasonably ought to have known forms part of proceeds of an unlawful act.
The trio were also alleged to have taken the said funds in cash, which exceeded the amount authorised by law, without going through the financial institutions.
Belgore, Sulaiman and Madueke were also alleged to have paid the sum of N50 million to one, Sheriff Shagaya, without going through the banks.
Metro Plus5 hours ago
JUST IN: First Bank Regional Manager dies of COVID-19
News1 day ago
FG gives Update on Proposed “two weeks lockdown’ by governors
Education10 hours ago
FG grants Nigerian students free subscription to e-learning
News9 hours ago
COVID-19: Nigerian Govt gives update on relaxing lockdown
News7 hours ago
COVID-19: Governors give Buhari conditions for relaxing lockdown on Monday
News2 days ago
PHOTOS: Man who had 281 children from 47 wives dies at 73
News2 days ago
40 health workers tested positive for COVId-19 – Min of Health, Ehanire
Breaking News2 days ago
BREAKING: NCDC confirms 108 new cases of COVID-19, total now 981